Thursday, February 12, 2009

A quandry that robs me of sleep when i need it most. .

So its Thursday. The one day this week that i have the opportunity to get a TON of sleep. Amy is home, it is a normal eight hour shift tonight, only one extra kid. . .

Then my friend Stu calls. He is the big wig with Bon Appetite - a food service industry that is very centered on food sustainability, going organic, going local, and going green. He is checking in to make sure that i had all of the information that i needed for a trip that Amy and i are doing with the college this weekend. Then he drops the bomb shell. . . "Something for you to think about. . ."
He more or less offers me a job as a full time farm manager at the college here in town. The Upshot is that it would be a raise . . . and i would be doing something that i have dreamed about for a loooooooong time. The downfall: It starts off as a year long contract with a heavy push to be an ongoing gig, but no guarantees.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! How am i supposed to sleep??? Hmmm. . . the job i have, i hate, but it pays well and it is stable. The job i am offered is a dream job, pays better, but no guarantee of longevity (although there is a very strong probability) short of God's intervention during the course of the year. Hmmmmmmm.

Any thoughts???

7 comments:

blindconfusion8 said...

DDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOO iiiiiiittttttttt!!!!!!!

we are always saying how we beileve in God, and trust Him to take care of us, but there is hardly even any true amount of being truly reliant on Him... mike, we will be ok. Imagine doing something you like... and being able to teach your kids about doing something you like. this is it... this is our way out of the slump... oh honey, i am sooo happy for you. let's pray on it, and jump in, yes, it is going to be wet, and i am not a very good swimmer, but let's jump together...

just remember that we have a life jacket... love you...

renee @ FIMBY said...

um hello???

Why are you even questioning this? Who knows what could happen in one year? The world could go bust.

This is your chance man!

Damien and I both read this and think this is a no-brainer. This job is made for you.

I am so freakin' happy about this opportunity for you!

ADVENTUREinPROGRESS said...

God is opening a HUGE freakin' (to use Renee's term) door for you here. You have to jump at this one or you will be spending the rest of your life wondering "what if?".

Do it man! What an adventure! I am so excited for you!

Laura said...

YEEEEEAAAAAH! That sounds wonderful and amazing and I totally think you should go for it!!! Honestly, I'm envious. (In the the best possible, least seven-deadly-sins type of way!)

And as someone who has only ever had grant-funded positions and I never knew if I was going to be employed longer than a year...it's not so bad. It can be nerve wracking, sure, but so far it's all worked out.

(Oh, and I don't check my blogs every day, so sorry I didn't comment earlier!!!)

Cori said...

After reading your post in my reader, I clicked to come to the "real" blog site. I was preparing to comment, but got sidetracked reading your profile first ... you answered the question yourself :-) I don't need to add any comment, afterall! Enjoy the new job!

brackish said...

Who is to say that you won't develop more connections throughout that year under contract and find an even better job?

I am at my current job for one reason, health-care.

Unknown said...

You have the support of your wife, it is something you have always dreamed of doing. GOD will handle the rest. He is giving you something to be passionate about EVERYDAY. have you accepted it yet?? IF not, what are you waiting for???